Michelle A. Philo
Michelle serves as General Counsel for small businesses and startups. In this capacity she assists the entrepreneur from the initial formation of their business, to the every day needs associated with running a business. She works with the business owner with contracts, corporate maintenance, stock purchase and ownership transfers, licensing agreements, and day to day needs. She also assists the small business owner by managing the team of outside counsel. It is not uncommon for a business to have a business attorney, an employment attorney, an immigration attorney, and an intellectual property attorney. Michelle interacts with a businesses team of attorneys to eliminate the time spent on legal matters and allow the business owner to focus on the growth of the business.
Michelle also provides Estate Planning Packages, assists Trustees with Trust Administration, and provides Probate services. The comprehensive estate planning packages include a trust, wills, powers of attorneys, and advanced healthcare directives. She also assist trustees with a variety of services, providing assistance with the administration of a trust's assets to the intended beneficiaries. If a loved one passes without a Trust, Michelle represents the estate's executor or personal representative in probate proceedings.
Born and raised in Southern California, Michelle graduated from Chapman University with her Bachelor of Arts in Legal Studies and received her Juris Doctor from Whittier Law School. She is active in the legal community having served as the President of Orange County Women Lawyers Association, President of Whittier Law School Alumni Association, and California Delegate to the House of Delegates of the American Bar Association, an appointment by the State Bar of California.
Areas of Practice
- Business Formations
- Business Transactions
- Licensing Agreements
- Purchase and Sale Transactions
- Shareholder Agreements & Transfers
- Trademarks & Trademark Infringements
- Estate Planning
- Trust Administration
- State Bar of California, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2012
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2012
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 2015
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2017
- Whittier Law School, Costa Mesa, California
- Juris Doctorate
- Honors: Dean's Citation Award, Trial Advocacy Honors Board, Certificate in International Law
- Student Bar Association President 2010 - 2012
- Chapman University
- Bachelor of Arts, Legal Studies
- Honors: Presidential Scholar
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers "Rising Star", 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015
- Whittier Law School Dean's Alumni Award, 2017
- American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division On the Rise Top 40 Young Lawyers, 2016
- Orange County Wine Society President’s Award, 2014
- Orange County Women Lawyers Association Everyday Hero Award, December 2013
- Whittier Law School Dean’s Citation Award, 2012
- American Bar Association Law Student Division Gold Key Award 2012
- American Bar Association Law Student Division Silver Key Award 2012, 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Orange County Women Lawyers Association, President - 2019; President-Elect - 2018; Vice President - 2017; Treasurer - 2016; Secretary - 2015; Board of Directors - 2014
- Orange County Women Lawyers Association Foundation, President - 2017-2018, Board of Directors - 2019
- Whittier Law School Alumni Association, President - 2018-2019, 2014-2016; Chair - 2016-2017, 2019-2020; Treasurer - 2018 - 2020; Secretary - 2013 - 2014
- State Bar of California, Delegate to ABA House of Delegates, 2013 - Present
- Orange County Lawyers Magazine, Editorial Advisory Committee, 2017 - Present
- Orange County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Chair, 2016; Chair-Elect, 2015; Social Committee Chair, 2014
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division Liaison to Section of Individual Rights & Responsibilities, 2014 - 2016
- American Bar Association Commission on Women on the Profession, Social Media Co-Chair, 2014 - 2016
Philo Law Firm, P.C. aims to make legal services available and affordable to its clients. With a virtual office, Philo Law Firm is available to meet with clients quickly via a phone or video call. Philo Law Firm also offers several packages for a flat rate enabling clients to know exactly how much they will pay up front.
Philo Law Firm, P.C. was built on referrals. Initially launched in 2015 as a side business to assist a handful of clients on a one-on-one basis, the number of referrals from past clients and outside attorneys steadily grew to develop the firm to its capabilities today. Although the business has grown, the focus remains the same: providing a trusted attorney-client relationship suited to the client's personal needs.
Does working with Philo Law Firm sound like a good fit for your legal needs? Contact us today to determine if we are the match for you!